Petrockstowe One Place Genealogy


Transcription of three Petrockstowe Directories




Billings Directory ~ 1857

    Petrockstow is a village and parish, about 4 miles N.N.W. from Hatherleigh, and about 14 miles W. from the Eggisford Station of the North Devon Railway; the parish contains 4,000 acres of land, including 1360 of open moor, and the deer park of Heanton Sachville, 136 acres, where the ancient mansion was burnt down, as noticed in the parish of Huish; the population in 1851 was 574, being a decrease since the previous census of 42, which decrease is ascribed to emigration, arising from the difficulty in obtaining employment; Hatherleigh is the polling-place, and the number of voters in 1857 was 1
    Petrockstow or Patrickstow, in short Padstow, formerly belonged to the Abbey of Buckfastleigh; the manor is now the property of Lord Clinton, who is also patron of the living.
    The church is an ancient fabric, with square tower, containing five bells; it has nave, chancel, north and south aisles; it also has a beautiful stained glass window, and several handsome monuments to the Rolle and other families. The living is a rectory. Rev. Louis Woolcombe, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Luxton, clerk, who has held the office for sixty-five years.
    The WESLEYANS and BIBLE CHRISTIANS have chapels here, supplied by Circuit Preachers.
    The PARISH SCHOOL was built by lord Clinton in 1842, at a cost of 700. Number of children 20. Ann Bisset, Mistress.
    The Poor have 2 per annum , left by various donors

Cann Mr. Stephen, Pose Cottage Mills Wiliam, farmer, Hall Barton
Woolcombe Rev. Louis M.A. Rector, Rectory Palmer Richard, farmer Zeal
Adams Richard, tanner Thomas Rockhey, farmer, Ash
Bird Sammuel, blacksmith Saunders Robert, farmer, South Hill
Bond William, farmer, Thorne Seldom William, mason
Bonifant John, farmer, Little Marland Selevant Joshua, Wheelwright
Brook Arthur, farmer, Westacott Shute William, victualler, White Hart
Darke John, farmer, Buttstone Small James, farmer, mason, and shopkeeper,
Darke William, farmer, Nethertown and Chilsdon North Town
Daw Samuel, mason Smail Mary, farmer, Rose Cottage
Dicker John, thatcher Stapledon Philip, farmer, Denford's
Falconer William, farmer, Heale Straton John, farmer, Brightmanshay
Freeman William, farmer, Foxhill Summerhayes Richard, farmer, Town Farm
Gill James, carpenter Tanton William, farmer, Hook
Hooper Thomas, farmer, Heanton Barton William Trace, shoe maker and Sub-Postmaster
Langdon John Brown, farmer, Hallwood Tucker Philip, wheelwright
Luxton Hugh, carpenter Visset George, shoe maker, North Town
Luxton J., blacksmith and Parish Clerk, North Town Vivian James, farmer, Berry
Lane Thomas, shoe maker Wadland Henry, farmer, Hasland
Mills George, tailor Williams Richard, farmer, Martin's Tenement
Mills John, tailor

    POST OFFICE.--William Trace, Sub-Master. Arrival, 11 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.
Nearest Money Order Office, Hatherleigh.





Whites Directory ~ 1878-9

    PETROCK   STOW, or Stow St. Petrock, a parish and pleasant vilage, 4 miles N.N.W. of Hatherleigh, is in Torrington union and county court district, Great Torrington petty sessional division, Northern division of the county, Shebbear hundred, Barnstaple archdeaconry, and Torrington rural deanery. It had 570 inhabitants (201 males, 279 females) in 1871, living in 136 houses on 4000 acres of land. This parish includes 210 acres of woodland, 1360 acres of open moor and the deer park of Heanton Satchville (136 acres) where the ancient mansion was burnt down many years ago, as noticed at page 488. The present handsome mansion, called HEANTON HOUSE stands in the ajoining parish of Huish and is the seat of Lord Clinton, the lord of the manors, and owner of most of the soil of both parishes. The old house was some time a seat of the Rolles and afterwards of the Earls of Orford. Merland belongs to Mr James Bonifant, and formerly belonged to the Zouch and Fitzwarren families; and Mr Henry Bonifant has an estate here. The CHURCH (St Petrock) is ancient, and consists of nave, chancel, porch, and tower containing five bells. it contains a mcuh admired norman font. The church is being rebuilt, the foundation stone of the new church being laid on June 18 1878, by Lord Clinton. Mr. J.F. Gould of Barnstaple is the architect and Messrs. Medland and Grant of Torrington, the builders. The living, a rectory, valued in K.B. at 17  0s.  21/2d, and in 1831 at 285, is in the patronage of Lord Clinton, and incumbency of the Rev. Louis Woollcombe, M.A. who has a good residence and 43 acres of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for 277 per annum. The PARISH SCHOOL, was bulit by Lord Clinton, in 1842, at the cost of about 700. The WESLEYANS and BIBLE CHRISTIANS, have chapels here, and the poor have 2 a year, left by several donors.

    POST OFFICE at Mr Williams Trace's. Letters from Beaford, by foot post, are received at 9 a.m. and are despatched at 4.30 p.m. Delivery on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday only. Hatherleigh is the nearest Money Order Office.

Adams Richard, tanner and carrier Luxton Joseph parish clerk Quance Thomas farmer, Southill
Quarry Hills,Great Torrington Lyne Thomas boot and shoe maker Seldon William wheelwright
Ashdown William tailor Manning Charles Timewell, farmer Sillifant John, draper,grocer & Mason
Blackmore Jno frmr Brightman's Hay Town Farm
Bond Wm farmer Thornes Allisland Mills John farmer Foxhill Steer Thomas farmer, Butstone
Bonifant Henry Perkin Farmer and Mills William, farmer, Densford hall Stoneman Thomas, farmer, Chilsdon
landowner, Little Marland Woodhse Moalle John, famer, Aish Trace William,boot and shoemaker
Daw Samuel Shopkeeper Moore Francis farmer Hook and Postmaster
Edwards William shopkeeper Mortimore John farmer Denfords Tucker Philip, carpntr. & wheelwright
Edwards Wm. Britton, Natl schlmstr Sincocks Tucker Wm. farmer Little Marland
Folland Frederick, farmer Zeal Northcott James farmer,Westacott Ward John, farmer, Hall wood
Hooper Thos. farmer, Heanton Barton Pickard Robt. Farmer, Hangers Allisland Ward William, famer and victualler
Hooper Thos. jun. farmer Nethertown Pike William, farmer Northtown White Hart
Langdon John, farmer Rose Cottage Pile Robert, farmer, Hele Barton Woollcombe Rev Louis, Rectory





Kellys Directory ~ 1899

Petrockstow ( or Stow St. petrock ) is a Parish and village, on the road from Haterleigh to Torrington, with a station on the North Devon and Cornwall light railway ( worked by the Southern Railway ), 71/4 miles south-by-east from Torrington station on a branch of the Southern Railway and 4 3/4 north-north-west from Hatherleigh , in the South Molton division of the county, hundred of Shebbear, petty sessional division, rural district, county court district and rural deanery of Torrington, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter. Electricity is available. The church of St. Petrock is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 6 bells; the bells were rehung and the sixth added in 1913; there are several mnouments to the Rolle and other families, including a brass to Henry, 4th son of George Rolle esq. of Stevenstone and his wife Margaret (Yeo), ob. 1591, with kneeling efigies of both and their ten sons and nine daughters, shields of arms and inscriptions; the carved oak reredos, erected in 1886, is a memorial; 1888 a window was placed to Mr. Moase, formerly of Petrockstow, who died in America; there is another erected in 1891 to Louis Woolacombe M.A. rector 1845-83. d. 1889 and to his widow and daughter, 1895; the font is Norman, but has a cover of Perpendicular date; in 1933 a new altar rail and in 1936 a stained window were given by Mr. S Bonifant; the church was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1879-1880, and in 1887 the tower was re-roofed and repaired throughout; the church seats 250; the churchyard was laid out in 1887, in 1933 Lord Clinton gave a further 3/4 acre. The register dates from form 1597. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Peters Marland annexed in 1931, joint net yearly income value 650, including 6 acres glebe, with residence, in a gift of Lord Clinton P.C., G.C.V.O. and the representatives of Col. R.A. Moore-Stevens D.L., J.P. and held since since 1929 by the Rev. William Henry Smale. A granite cross was erected in 1921 in memory of the eight men who of the parish who fell during the greta war, 1914-18. There is a methidist chapel erected in 1933. The ancient manor house was burnt down many yaers ago, and the present mansion, Heanton Satchville, which stands in the adjoining parish of Huish, is the seat of Lord Clinton P.C., G.C.V.O.; the old house was for some time the seat of the Rolles and the Walpoles, Earl of Oxford. Lord Clinton P.C., G.C.V.O is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is dun land; the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley oats and roots. The acreage is 4.288, including 210 acres of woodland and 7 of water; the population in 1931 was 381.
Post & T. Office. Letters through Okehampton. Merton nearest M O. office
        PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Heal William Henry, Hillside
Smale Rev. William Henry (rector),
    Rectory
              COMMERCIAL.
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over
Andrews Jsph. farmer, Hallwood
Bisset Geo. Alfd. shopkpr. & post
    office. T N I
Bridgeman Jn. farmer, North town
Bridgeman Wm. Thos. farmer
    Stockeys
Brook Wm. T. farmer, Foxhill
Ching Jas. farmer, Hall pk
Coad Stanley, farmer, Thorns
oCook Fredk. Jas. farmer, Netherton
    (Letters through Sheepwash, Bea-
    worthy). Shebbear 241
Cottle Wm. Hy. farmer, Henton
    Barton
oDunn Stanley Edwd. farmer, Berry
Easterbrook Leonard, smallholder,
    Larkworthy
oFishleigh Henry, farmer;
    petrol & oil supplied, Denfords.
    Hatherleigh 64
oGilbert Rd. Wm. farmer, Little
    land
Hatherley James Vanstone, carriage
    builder & wheelwright, Aish
Heale Chas. farmer, Allisland
oHeggadon J N. farmer, Aish Barton
Hockin Fras. farmer, Zeal
Hunkin Albt. farmer & landowner
    Woodhouse
Langdon Alfd. Victor rate collector
Langdon Jn. Brown, smallholder,
    Rose cott
Leonard Samuel, farmer, Bright-
    manshayes
Luxton Hy. smallholder, Hall court
Marshall Frank, farmer, Berrymoor
Mogridge Wltr. shopkpr.
oMoore Bertha (Miss), farmer, Hook
    (letters through Sheepwash Bea-
    worthy)
oMucksworthy Wm. farmer, Town frm
Nethercotte Jn. farmer, Chelsdon
Reading Room (Arth. Ebsary sec)
Slade Geo. Hy. farmer, Westacott
Steer Hy. farmer, Butstone
Stevens Thos. G. farmer, South hill
Taverner Merlin, farmer, Syncocks
oTidball Thos. Hy. farmer, Hele Barton
West Devon & North Cornwall
    Farmers Ltd. (depot)corn mers.
    Beaford 219
Whitford Jn. smallholder, Aish lodge
Whitlock Alfd. smallholder, Quarry hill
Yoe Wm. Geo. balcksmith





Genealogy Homepage

The Petrockstowe Village Website


Copyright © Compass Web Design 2000 ~ 2013 Webweaver
Spinning Compass